If you like working on your own, without wiring the entire house and office, setting up a wireless network is the perfect choice for you. With a good wireless network you can work anywhere in your house. Here we are going to discuss how to setup a wireless network in Windows Based computers.
STEP 1. Things You Need To Set Up Wi-Fi Network Connection
Before you start wetting up your wireless network it is good to check whether you have everything needed. This includes:
- Having an operating system installed which supports wireless networking.
- High Internet connection speed
- A Wi-Fi router
- Wireless Adapters
STEP 2. Setting up Internet Connection
In most cases your ISP will set up your Internet connection the first time. However, if your ISP didn’t do this, you can easily follow the next few steps:
- Take your phone wire and plug one end into the phone jack at the back of the router.
- The other end should be plugged into the phone wall jack. In case you have to use a splitter, this end goes to the part marked with DSL. Use another phone wire to connect the splitter to the phone wall jack. Plug the router into electrical socket.
- Turn on your PC.
- Go to the Control Panel and make sure it’s being set up in Icon view.
- Look for Network and Sharing Center and click this icon.
- Take a look at the Active Networks, and then click Setup A New Connection or Network
- After you double-click the icon Connect to Internet the Wizard will guide you through the rest of the setup process.
If you use a modem to connect to the router one end of the phone wire goes to the modem and the other part goes to the splitter or wall phone jack. After that use an Ethernet cable to connect the modem and the wireless router. After that go through the steps 4 to 7 from above.
STEP 3. How to Secure Your Network
If you have done everything properly your PC will be able to connect to the Internet. Now it is important to perform the following steps and take care of your network security. Many users neglect this part but it is always better to be safe than sorry.
- In the bottom-right part of your desktop look for the Network Icon and click on it.
- Open Network And Sharing
- After that select Setup a New Connection or Network and double click it.
- Follow the Wizard and configure the network.
- For security select AES and make sure to set up a strong wireless password. Click Next.
- Make sure to remember this password or write it somewhere safe since you will need it later to add other devices to your network.
Please note that securing the wireless network isn’t the same as securing the wireless router. According to this website 192168ll.net to do it you will have to access the router admin page using the router default IP (eg. 192.168.1.1) and the default router username and password.
STEP 4. Adding Other PCs to the Network
- Click the Network icon
- Look for your SSID (network name)
- Enter the password we have mentioned earlier.
STEP 5. Sharing Within The Network
Sharing has to be turned on all computers, especially on those that have printers and scanners installed. By doing this you will be able to print any document from any PC in the network. To do this follow the next steps.
- Click the Network icon again
- Open Network and Sharing Center
- Select Home group and Sharing Options. Follow the Wizard’s instructions to set up sharing between devices.
This will be a short tutorial on how to setup a wireless network. If you have any problems please leave a comment. We’ll be happy to help you.
Latest posts by Masha Winget (see all)
- Best Headphones You Can Buy Under $100 - April 29, 2017
- Power Banks – What You Need to Know? - October 16, 2016
- Router’s IP and Admin Password FAQ - October 10, 2016
- How to Determine Belkin Router IP Address and Default Password - October 3, 2016
- 5 Easy Steps to Setting up a Wireless Network at Home - September 30, 2016