Mosquitoes are the insects that are universally hated by the humans. If we talk about mosquitoes then we must think about the buzzing sound and the irritating bite of the mosquito but believe that there is much more interesting about them. They survive by sucking plants nectar and sucking the blood or every living thing including us. The mosquito “bite” with a long pointed mouth part called proboscis. This mechanism (proboscis) consists of 6 parts. Four of these are very effective cutting knives and remaining other two parts join together to make an empty tube in which mosquito enable to put these tube in the wounded area and suck the blood of humans or animals. One of the knives numbs your tissue in which sometimes we cannot feel anything while mosquito is sucking our blood.
The mosquitoes having three main parts its head, its thorax, and its abdomen.
- A mosquito has two eyes that make up the majority of its head. Each eye is filled with little lenses there are 100 lenses which is also consider as that mosquito have 100 eyes which are arranged in the form of honeycomb fashion in which it can see in all directions.
- A mosquito has six legs.
- The average weight of a mosquito is about 2.5 milligrams.
- Mosquitoes are approximately 16 millimeters long.
15 Amazing facts of mosquitoes:
- Mosquitoes have been around since the Jurassic period: This creature is approximately 210 million years old. They exist from the era of dinosaurs and still they are the part of our world.
- Mosquito is considered as the world deadliest animal on earth: We have to fear with mosquitoes because they are everywhere and they having with them some deadly virus like including malaria, dengue fever, yellow fever, and encephalitis.
- Only female mosquito sucks the blood: Male and female mosquitoes feed the fruit and plants nectar. Male mosquitoes don’t suck blood in his entire life but female mosquito also needs blood for protein in order to lay her eggs.
- There are more than 3500 species of the mosquitoes in the world: Anopheles mosquitoes are the only species known to carry malaria, Culex mosquitoes carry encephalitis, filariasis, and the West Nile virus and Aedes mosquitoes, of which the voracious Asian tiger is a member, carry yellow fever, dengue, and encephalitis.
- Mosquito has 48 teeth in his mouth: It is one of the strange things in mosquitoes but it is written in the Muslims Holy book “QURAN and as well as in the book of great American author “Isaac Asimov”.
- Female mosquito can lay up to 300 eggs a time: After sucking blood by gaining protein it is able to lay eggs and they need only inches of water to lay eggs.
- Some mosquitoes don’t bite people: Culiseta melanura is one of the kinds of mosquito they don’t show any interest in humans they use to suck the blood of animals.
- Mosquito’s wings beat up to 300 to 600 times per second: This is the reason it creates the buzzing sound which always irritates us and sometimes we slap our own face.
- Mosquitoes fly at speed between 1 to 1.5 miles per hour: There flying nature is slow in the comparison of other flying insects.
- An adult mosquito may live 5 to 6 months: They don’t have a very long life spam like other insects.
- Mosquitoes can detect the carbon dioxide: They detect the carbon dioxide from 75 feet away it is the thing which humans and animal produce it work as a signal for the mosquitoes and aware them that there meal is not so far.
- Mosquitoes usually fly below 25 feet: In normal basis they fly within 25 feet but some of the species are also found on Himalayas which is up to 8000 feet.
- Deadly mosquito saliva: Mosquito saliva is somehow is as deadly as rat poison.
- Mosquito feed day and night: Some of the species of the mosquito, like the Aedes are the day time biter and the others like Culex it use to bite in the dark.
- X-ray machine in insects: In the body of this insect is a digital X-RAY machine. It uses it to distinguish the human skin in the dark in violet color.
Feeding Facts of mosquitoes:
There are various interesting feeding facts about mosquitoes:
- Mosquitoes usually like to aim for moving targets and it can drink up to three times its weight.
- Many mosquitoes target people in dark clothing.
- Mosquitoes are more attracted to women than to men.
- On average, female mosquitoes drink from 0.001 to 0.1 millimeters of blood per feeding.
- Female mosquitoes drink blood; they purify the blood in their own systems and leave a small puddle of urine on their victim’s skin. This is the reason when you first get bit, you may notice a small wet spot surrounding the bite.
Latest posts by Nabeel Ahmed (see all)
- Why Should You Visit Charna Island With Xtreme Divers Karachi - July 28, 2016
- Tallest Man and Women on Earth - July 17, 2016
- 10 Bizarre People In The World - July 14, 2016
- 10 Amazing Facts About Animals - June 26, 2016
- Money In The Bank Prediction 2016 - June 18, 2016